[CentOS] updating to 6.4 broke olvwm/openwin

Miranda Hawarden-Ogata

hawarden at ifa.hawaii.edu
Fri Mar 22 20:08:23 UTC 2013

On 2013/03/22 09:48, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Miranda,
>
> Miranda Hawarden-Ogata wrote:
> <snip>
>> Thanks for the suggestion. I did try downgrading xorg-x11-server (and
>> all its little friends) to the 6.3 versions, but that did not fix the
>> problem. I've also tried rebuilding the xview set from the src rpm, but
>> I wasn't able to get it to build in the not-too-long while that I spent
>> on it yesterday.
> <snip>
> This bugs me - I still think it's a permissions or configuration issue. It
> almost seems as though it's not seeing the local .openwin-menu, just some
> default from somewhere.
>
>            mark
Hi Mark, that's the weird thing, it IS seeing the menu file, as in when
you right-click you do get the appropriate menu for the account you're
logged into, but you can't execute any of the commands. I'd think that
if it weren't seeing the local .openwin-menu file, then it wouldn't give
you the custom menu but a generic one as you suggested. The startup
xterms that some accounts are configured for, launched by the
.openwin-init file, are also not showing up. It's like the process that
runs those guys no longer has the power to exec commands (or something
along those lines), but I'm not sure how to investigate that.

So yeah, it does bug me as well, but this morning I got asked what I'd
tried, what the next options I was planning to try were, and then told
to stop wasting any more time on it and just move the accounts over. I
have a test system in my office that I can use to play with small
trials, but I won't have the time to trial big things (like rebuilding
xview). So unless we can think of some other small things to try, I'm
just going to have to leave it be.

Thanks!
Miranda