[CentOS] Help with thread Centos 6.4 won't reboot on install

m.roth at 5-cent.us

Tue Mar 26 17:23:15 UTC 2013

Robert Benjamin wrote:
>      Newbie here. Need help with a thread that has about 25 posts. No
> replies in a few days. The thread is in software support for centos 6
> and the subject of the thread is Centos 6.4 won't reboot on install.
> Have had limited success in getting a login screen but once I logout, I
> can't get back in again. It was mentioned in the thread that the problem
> is likely in Network Configuration. I have no GUI (gnome) no mouse, no
> terminal, and keyboard use only with Ctl+Alt+F2. Can login as root but
> have no luck getting the GUI to appear or to get a user login screen.
> Thanks in advance for your help.

I think you need to take another entry-level course in English, in
writing....

Sounds like several problems, from what I can tell from the contorted
para, above. First, you appear to have a problem with X. Does the correct
driver *work*?
   Questions for this: what video card?
                       do you have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (not
subdirectory)
                          if so, what driver is it showing?

Next: you can't log back in (as you?), but can as root.
   Questions for this: what's in /var/log/secure after you've tried?
                       Or /var/log/messages?
                       what's in your username entry in /etc/password for
shell?

<satire>
Send me your physical address, and I'll see if I can scrape up a blue book
and pencil....
</satire>

          mark