[CentOS] Help with thread Centos 6.4 won't reboot on install

Les Mikesell

lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 19:31:44 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 12:10 PM, Robert Benjamin <benjie1 at cox.net> wrote:

> looked in /var/log/yum.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log  permission denied
> chmod a+x OK got list of time stamped and at bottom I tried yum install
> one of the items there. Got 'no package name '.

You need to do most of this as root.  Carefully...

> tried rm /tmp/ .X0-lock
                       ^^no space there.
> gives '/tmp is a dir.

The shell breaks commands on white space.

> Did cd /tmp/ .X0-lock  and ls several files and subdirs (?) but no
> X0-lock

You actually did a cd /tmp.

> Tried again to find .X0-lock and no luck. Hope I didn't make
> things worse.

Your are looking for /tmp/.X0-lock.   Another convention is that files
starting with a . are 'hidden' in the sense that ls will omit them
unless you use the -a option.

> Yum update said no packages set for install and yum
> install (from time stamped items) said 'no package available' with the
> name and numbers  from a time stamped line picked at random.

Your yum remove command may also have been interpreted oddly if you
had the space after /tmp.
Normally you would just give the base package name to install,
stopping before the -version-number part.
For example if your log says yum removed gnome-disk-utility.i686
0:2.30.1-2.el6 you would get it back with
yum install gnome-disk-utility.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com