[CentOS] Lockups with kernel-2.6.32-358.0.1.el6.i686

Mon Mar 4 04:02:31 UTC 2013
Ian Pilcher <arequipeno at gmail.com>

I updated my home server with the 6.4 CR packages, and I've experienced
3 or 4 hard lockups since.  The server is a fanless VIA C7
"CentaurHauls" system with a 1GHz CPU underclocked to 800MHz and 1GB of
RAM.  It has a dual-port Intel 82546GB NIC in its single PCI slot.  (It
also has an on-board Realtek RTL-8110SC/8169SC NIC that is plugged in,
but doesn't currently have an IP address configured.)

This server provides a number of services -- DNS, DHCP, routing between
VLANs, DLNA media server, CUPS, etc.  Most importantly, it runs Asterisk
and manages all of the phones in the house.

There's absolutely nothing in the logs related to the lockup.  The
system simply becomes totally unresponsive, to the point that the
console cursor stops blinking.  A hard reset is required to bring it
back.

kernel-2.6.32-279.22.1.el6.i686 seems to be completely stable.

I don't really expect to be able to figure this out, but I thought I'd
post here to see if anyone else is experiencing anything like this with
this kernel.

Thanks!

Ian Pilcher                                         arequipeno at gmail.com
Sometimes there's nothing left to do but crash and burn...or die trying.