[CentOS] GUI volume control/mixer in C6??

Mon Mar 4 18:58:44 UTC 2013
Andy <andy-nntp23 at linuxtech.net>

Fred wrote:
> Just bringing up a Centos-6 (x86_64, FWIW) and I can't find the mixer app...
>
> on my C5 box(es), double click on the speaker icon in the top panel and I
> get a mixer app appears on the screen.
>
> My new C6 box doesn't do that. I've installed all the PULSEAUDIO RPMS I can
> find, but still nothing.
>
> what am I missing here?
>
> thanks!
>
> Fred

You could install either gnome-alsamixer or gamix.
Both are available in the Linuxtech repo for Centos 6.

http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/release/

These are both traditional ALSA mixers that ignore Pulseaudio and provide you
directly with the hardware audio controls.

If (like myself) you have no use for Pulseaudio then you might consider
uninstalling it, I wrote a HOW-TO about it here:
http://scientificlinuxforum.org/index.php?showtopic=618

Andy