[CentOS] updating to 6.4 broke olvwm/openwin

Thu Mar 21 21:06:26 UTC 2013
Miranda Hawarden-Ogata <hawarden at ifa.hawaii.edu>

This morning a handful of workstations got upgraded from 6.3 to 6.4 and
things seemed to be functional, until we tried to log in to one of our
instrument accounts that for various reasons uses olvwm/openwin as the
desktop (and no, I don't have the option of changing that at this time).
The desktop appears to load correctly, and mouse-focus and clicking
appears to work, but the .openwin-menu entries no longer function other
than clicking "exit" to log out of the session. I've tried reinstalling
xview and xview-client rpms, but that doesn't resolve it. I don't think
it's an issue with the user account, as the underlying commands work
when I su and execute them in an xterm. I was also able to reproduce the
problem on three separate computers.

I don't usually have to deal with these desktop issues so I'm hella
rusty when it comes to debugging them. Does anyone have any tidbits to
point me in the right direction to fix this? (Hopefully soon, since we
are supposed to use this account for observations tonight)

--
Thanks!
Miranda