[CentOS] New java update?

Tue Mar 5 20:54:47 UTC 2013

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 2:29 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>>>
>> What do you mean M$ employees? I've never worked for M$, have stayed
>> away
>> from WinDoze for many years, and I *loathe* java, which failed in
>> everything it was sold on the basis of being able to solve in the
>> mid-nineties....
>
> Errr, beg your pardon?   There are some fantastic things written in
> java -  jenkins is one that would clearly be difficult to do in any
> other language.  And android's dalvik is a conceptual if not literal
> offspring.   The thing I don't understand is why there isn't a dalvik
> VM for other OS's so android apk's could run everywhere without
> something silly like bluestacks.

tomcat? Ton's o' websites with java, that are really, really slow, and
break easily? And then there's the "write once, try  to run
everywhere...."

Oh, and how about "with java, you can't have null pointer exceptions"? Or
the fact that when tomcat, for example, crashes, the stack traces - in
other words, the function calls - range from 100 to 200 deep!

   mark