[CentOS] New java update?

Tue Mar 5 22:11:37 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 4:04 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

>> Please.
>>>
>>> Java is doing everything in it's power to rival the insecurity records
>>> of sendmail and bind from years ago, or horde's track record or phpBB's.
>>> It's just one rolling security vector.  It's apparently maintained by
>>> people that don't really know what they're doing since it's one issue
>>> after another in rapid pace.  Oracle's attitude towards patches is
>>> abysmal at best and I can't see any relief in sight.  Look at it this
>>> way: distro's have rolling releases and Java has rolling security
>>> vulnerabilities.
>>
>> But wait - wasn't making the code 'free' supposed to take care of all
>> those issues since everyone can now see the problems and contribute
>> the fixes?   I think RMS may have led us astray.
>
> No, java was Sun's baby, now it's Oracle's. I know y'all have seen my
> feelings about Oracle/Sun hardware "tech support"....

I'm talking about all those years when Sun's baby was pretty good and
"free as in beer" but not good/free enough for Red Hat to bless with
an installer that actually worked so we got the broken gcj instead and
made everybody hate java because it didn't work.   Now the real thing
is free enough, but so far I don't see the improvement that we were
supposed to be waiting for...

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com