[CentOS] Software RAID complete drives or individual partitions

Wed Mar 6 00:27:02 UTC 2013
Mark LaPierre <marklapier at aol.com>

On 03/04/2013 10:53 PM, Chris Weisiger wrote:
> I have been reading about software raid. I configured my first software raid system about a month ago.
>
> I have 4 500 Gig drives configured in RAID 5 configuration with a total of 1.5TB.
>
> Currently I configured the complete individual drivers as software raid, then created a /dev/md0 with the drives
>
> I then created a /file_storage partition on /dev/md0.
>
> I created my /boot / and swap partitions on a non raid drive in my system.
>
> Is the the proper way to configure software raid?

Hey Chris,

What you have done is a totally acceptable way of building a raid array.

Software raid on Linux is amazingly flexible.  It is able to build
arrays on individual matching drives as you have done, drives of
different physical sizes, a combination physical drives and partitions
on other drives, or a combination of partitions on different drives.  It
can even build a raid array on several partitions on one physical drive,
not that you would ever want to do that.

In other words, if you can dream it up, software raid can probably build
it.  The question is why are you using raid at all?  If you are trying
to increase access speed or data security then raid makes sense.  The
appropriate configuration depends on your available resources and the
nature of your intent.

--
     _
    °v°