[CentOS] Software RAID complete drives or individual partitions

Wed Mar 6 21:12:26 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 2:42 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

>> AFAIK you need to use a GPT for partitions with >2TB ...
>
> you need GPT to partition devices larger than 2TB, regardless of the
> parittion size.
>
> me, I use parted....
>
>     # parted /dev/sdc "label gpt"
>     # parted /dev/sdc -a none "mkpart primary 512s -1s"
>
> to make a single full disk partition that starts at sector 512, which is
> 256K bytes, which is usually a decent boundary for SSDs, large raids,
> and other such devices.

Large drives often have 4k sectors - don't you want a 1M offset to
make sure the partition start is aligned?   Gparted seems to do that
by default.   Also, is it possible to make the raid auto-assemble at
boot like smaller ones do?    I had to put an ARRAY entry into
/etc/mdadm.conf with the devices but I think someone advised doing
"set <partition number> raid on" in parted.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com