[CentOS] Lockups with kernel-2.6.32-358.0.1.el6.i686

Thu Mar 7 18:52:56 UTC 2013
Kwan Lowe <kwan.lowe at gmail.com>

On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 11:02 PM, Ian Pilcher <arequipeno at gmail.com> wrote:

> I updated my home server with the 6.4 CR packages, and I've experienced
> 3 or 4 hard lockups since.  The server is a fanless VIA C7
> "CentaurHauls" system with a 1GHz CPU underclocked to 800MHz and 1GB of
> RAM.  It has a dual-port Intel 82546GB NIC in its single PCI slot.  (It
> also has an on-board Realtek RTL-8110SC/8169SC NIC that is plugged in,
> but doesn't currently have an IP address configured.)

Wow. I'm trying to troubleshoot a very similar problem. I was
convinced that it was hardware, but beginning to exhaust my hardware
troubleshooting skills.

I'm running an Asus M5a99X EVO 2.0, Asus Geforce GTX 660, and AMD 8150
CPU, 32G RAM, Corsair 850W PS. Randomly I get a complete lockup. Mouse
freezes, network dies, etc..

> There's absolutely nothing in the logs related to the lockup.  The
> system simply becomes totally unresponsive, to the point that the
> console cursor stops blinking.  A hard reset is required to bring it
> back.
>
> kernel-2.6.32-279.22.1.el6.i686 seems to be completely stable.

Same here. No log messages, just a complete freeze. At first I was
suspecting some Pulseaudio glitches because of thousands of messages
in the log. Then suspected the proprietary NVidia graphics, then
thought it might be power supply. I've since swapped out every
component with no improvement. It can sometimes for for hours without
a problem, sometimes with a minute after a reboot it will lock up.

Have you enabled your thermal sensors? Do you have any messages in the
kernel log?