[CentOS] nc not working as advertised

Thu Mar 7 21:56:19 UTC 2013

I can't get nc to do anything worthwhile.  In fact I can't even get the
examples in the manpage to work.  From either my C6 servers or my F17
notebooks.  For example:

echo -n "GET / HTTP/1.0\r\n\r\n" | nc medon.htt-consult.com 80

Gets no response.  And looking into the access.log of medon shows no
access by my client.

I have tried the client/server on both -4 and -6 on a port I have
enabled on my firewall.  The server looks to be listening, but the
client seems to never connect.  what I typed in eventually gets played
to the terminal session and of course bash says no such command.

Say I have port 5902 open (for vncserver, and vncserver is not
running).  So on server foo, in a su session (because of the port range)
I type:

nc -4l 5902

seems to be listening.

Then on bar, also in an su session:

nc -4 foo.domain 5902
hello world

After some time nc terminates and "hello world" gets sent to the su
session and of course is not a valid command...

So what am I missing here?

Doesn't matter if I use -4, -6, or neither.  It does not work.