[CentOS] Question around updates and drpms directory

Sat Mar 9 17:22:16 UTC 2013
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 03/08/2013 09:03 PM, Stephen Harris wrote:
> Looking at the nice new 6.4 tree (thanks!!!) I see there are already
> a few updates.
> eg
>   Packages/firefox-17.0.3-1.el6.centos.i686.rpm
>   Packages/firefox-17.0.3-1.el6.centos.x86_64.rpm
> So far, so normal.  These occur because of timing.  That's not a problem;
> it's expected.
>
> What confuses me, though, is the drpms directory where there are 33
> firefox drpm files compared to the 2 Packages, including firefox-3
> versions!  The drpms directory is around 3.3G whereas the Packages
> directory is only 680M.
>
> Is the drpms directory carrying legacy files?  Or is this to be
> expected?

The drpms (delta RPMS) are upgrades FROM some version TO another
version.  They are smaller in size than the actual files and they allow
people to download on the difference between their version and the new
version.

So, what you see is an upgrade from several previous versions to the new
versions.