[CentOS] CentOs 6.4 and video drivers

Sun Mar 10 01:16:05 UTC 2013
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 5:05 PM, Yves Bellefeuille <yan at storm.ca> wrote:
> The release notes for CentOS 6.4 state as follows:
>
>> With this release the ABI for the X.org video drivers changes,
>> possibly resulting in a failing X-Session. If you are running 3rd
>> party drivers - i.e. vBox addons, nVidia, ATI or ELRepo - you need to
>> ensure a compatible driver is loaded.
>
> I use flgrx from ELRepo. Does this mean that fglrx is now incompatible
> with CentOS?

Depend on how "new" your card is. :)

The CentOS 6.4 release notes also has this description in the 'Known
Issues' section:

"The proprietary drivers for older AMD ( former ATI ) video cards,
namely the 3xxx, 4xxx and 5xxx series ( both integrated in
motherboards or standalone cards) are not compatible with the new
version of the X server introduced in CentOS 6.4. "

More details are in this ELRepo bug report:

http://elrepo.org/bugs/view.php?id=355

Akemi