[CentOS] skype not starting anymore, prelink issue?

Sun Mar 10 21:13:45 UTC 2013
Michael Lampe <lampe at gcsc.uni-frankfurt.de>

Yves Bellefeuille wrote:

>> This point has already been answered on this mailing list (and
>> elsewhere). A bit of search in the archives and elsewhere would
>> quickly bring you this:
>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Skype
>
> I'm very familiar with that document. :-) And many users, including
> myself, couldn't get Skype 4.1 to work on CentOS 64 bits using those
> instructions.
>
> If Skype 4.1 did work on your 64-bit system, I'm very interested in
> knowing the details; you can contact me directly if you wish.

I have posted it months ago here:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Linux/Skype-for-Redhat-Enterprise-6/td-p/1210686

Actually, I also posted to the c6 fora back then and suggested to
document it more precisely in the wiki.

That posting was immediately closed without further ado. Someone even
followed me to the skype fora, only to state that I'm just talking
bullshit and that http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Skype has all you need
to know.

And of course yes: Skype-4.1 is running nicely here on x86_64 for all
these months. And it doesn't require anything special -- and certainly
not breaking your installation with some weird Qt-4.7.