[CentOS] lost connection during yum update

Mon Mar 11 03:45:49 UTC 2013
Frank Cox <theatre at melvilletheatre.com>

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 23:27:25 -0400
Gerry Reno wrote:

> Do you know if this grub file was rewritten?
>
> Can you check it against a backup copy?

I don't have a backup copy of the grub.conf file since it's always been
automatically managed and updated by grub and friends and I've never really had
to pay much attention to it.

I did compare it between the non-working and the working machines and didn't
see anything that struck me as a significant difference.

The most maddening part of this is that all of the files and the filesystems
appear to be present -- I can boot off of a rescue CD and mount the whole works
under /mnt/sysimage and browse to my hearts content.  I just can't boot the
damn thing.

How is a name like /dev/mapper/vg_ws195-lv_root rd_NO_LUKS determined?  If I
knew how to read or find out what the actual name of the root directory was on
the problem machines, I could compare it to what's in the grub.conf file.