[CentOS] ERROR MESSAGE: dracut warning: no root device "block:/dev/mapper/vg_ws194-lv_root" found

Mon Mar 11 05:57:30 UTC 2013
Frank Cox <theatre at melvilletheatre.com>

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 23:36:55 -0400
Yves Bellefeuille wrote:

> Also check that /etc/fstab is correct.

 I've finally figured out how to get an error message, but I have no idea of
how to fix it.

By removing "rhgb" and "quiet" from the grub commandline, I see a whole bunch
of write-up going by, then there is a several-second pause, and then this:

dracut warning: no root device "block:/dev/mapper/vg_ws194-lv_root" found

After that I get the kernel panic message and that's the end of the line.

By booting the machine from the rescue cd, I can
find /mnt/sysimage/dev/mapper/vg_ws194-lv_root, which is a symbolic link
to ../dm-0

/mnt/sysimage/dev/dm-0 exists.

lvscan tells me this:
ACTIVE '/dev/vg_ws194/lv_root' [50.00 GiB] inherit

lvdisplay shows a bunch of stats about  /dev/vg_ws194/lv_root that look normal
to me.

In summary, it looks very much like vg_ws194-lv_root is indeed present and
accounted for, but dracut didn't find it for some reason.