[CentOS] Postfix setup

Mon Mar 11 09:05:52 UTC 2013

On 03/11/2013 04:52 AM, Tilman Schmidt wrote:
> Am 11.03.2013 03:54, schrieb Austin Einter:
>> I am planning to setup mail server for my domain.
>>
>> Which one is preferred postfix or sendmail.
> Choose the one your most familiar with.
> If you aren't familiar with either, find someone who is.
> Setting up a mail server in today's hostile Internet is not a task to be
> taken lightly.
>
>> I came across a link *
>> http://ostechnix.wordpress.com/2013/02/08/setup-mail-server-using-postfixdovecotsquirrelmail-in-centosrhelscientific-linux-6-3-step-by-step/
>> * for postfix mail setup.
> That page does not give good advice.
> Surely there must be better resources than that?
>
>> It says,
>> Prerequisites:
>>
>>     - The mail server should contain a valid MX record in the DNS server.
> Strange wording, but I guess they mean the right thing:
> your DNS zone should contain an MX RR pointing to the mail server,
> but only *after* your mail server is up and running.

The OP should set up and DNS internal view to work with the MX record if
a test mode.  Then replicate it to the external view after everything
has been tested to work.  Especially the anti-spam/virus portions.
Since the OP's named.conf has not explicit views, he first needs to
learn more on setting up DNS for safe development before tackling the
bigger email challenge.