[CentOS] Postfix setup

Mon Mar 11 13:27:54 UTC 2013
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

On Mon, March 11, 2013 04:52, Tilman Schmidt wrote:
> Am 11.03.2013 03:54, schrieb Austin Einter:
>> I am planning to setup mail server for my domain.
>>
>> Which one is preferred postfix or sendmail.

Postfix.

I have been running Sendmail from version 8.6 in 1995 on HP-UX 9.02 to
8.13 at the present on CentOS-5.9 as these were the default MTA's
shipped by the vendor.  When RHEL-6 switched from Sendmail to Postfix
I decided to bite the bullet and change my public MX servers to
Postfix as and when I upgraded them to CentOS-6.  This was not without
difficulty and unhappiness, for I miss the command line email trace
facility that Sendmail provides out of the box, but it was not
traumatic either.

The main benefit to using Postfix over Sendmail is that Postfix
definitely places a lower intellectual load on its administrators.
For that reason alone I would recommend it over Sendmail. While M4
macros take most of the arcana out of Sendmail's configuration files
they are no where near as easy to understand as Postfix's simple
config files.

The only 'rule' I have to suggest is:

The mail server host and all of its MX records must resolve to a DNS
'A" or 'AAAA' record.  Do not use CNAME records with any MX host or
you will learn why not to do this the hard way.

Canada  L8E 3C3