[CentOS] [OT/HW] hardware raid -- comment/experience with 3Ware

Wed Mar 13 20:15:35 UTC 2013
Arun Khan <knura9 at gmail.com>

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 11:04 PM, Keith Keller  wrote:
> On 2013-03-13, SilverTip257  wrote:
>>
>> I'll argue that the software RAID process is slightly more complex.  And it
>> is crucial that one remember to hot-remove the disk ... after all one
>> could panic their box by just yanking the drive.
>
> Agreed, but the OP specifically mentioned wanting to avoid creating more
> on-site work.  He could do all of the steps you mentioned remotely, so
> the amount of on-site work for HW RAID or md RAID is equivalent, and
> therefore shouldn't be a factor in choosing between them.  The added
> complexity might be an issue for a user new to RAID or to device
> management.

>From the discussions thus far, I have concluded that hardware raid has
it's own issues.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts, suggestions and
comments.  I am still leaning towards a hardware raid controller but
will look into the MegaRAID controllers as well.

-- Arun Khan