[CentOS] moderate rant un updates

Thu Mar 14 14:17:10 UTC 2013

So, another admin I work with rolled out most (but not kernel) updates to
6.4... but including xorg. I log out the end of the day, and I'm hosed -
no X.

Now, my not-two-year-old workstation has an nvidia card, and I'd installed
kmod-nvidia from elrepo. I figured I'd fix my problem by finishing the
upgrade and rebooting.

Nope.

I try to upgrade kmod-nvidia from elrepo. Anyone got any good explanations
as to why they'd put kmod-nvidia-310.40 in the repo, with the previous
version not obvious... AND NOT HAVE THE *REQUIRED* nvidia-x11-drv-310.40
in there? Why not wait until both pieces could be uploaded, since
kmod-nividia WILL NOT INSTALL without the other...?

I then stupidly uninstalled the previous kmod-nvidia & nvidia-x11-drv,
hoping it would allow a good install.

Nope.

Found the proprietary installer on the NVidia site, and I'm up.
<rant, snort>

On a related note, does anyone have a link to a howto build the NVidia
proprietary driver on a kernel that's *not* running, so we could prebuild
it before the reboot? I see there are options in the script, but no
examples.

Also, is dkms coming in, or deprecated?

      mark