[CentOS] moderate rant un updates

Sat Mar 16 21:05:59 UTC 2013
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

On 14/03/13 19:37, b.j. mcclure wrote:
> This may be slightly off topic on this thread but on all my workstations
> using the Nvidia kmod from elrepo, the update to xorg removed the
> symbolic link 'libglx.so in /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia
> that points to nvidia's libglx.so.304.64.  Restoring that symbolic link
> restored normal operation.  Perhaps a
>
> 'yum --enablerepo=elrepo reinstall kmod-nvidia'
>
> would have accomplished the same thing but did not try it.  Seems like
> it might not be the elrepo package that is the probleb.
>
> B.J.
>
> CentOS release 6.4 (Final)

I'm not able to replicate this. If you can clearly define a replicator
and we can see what's going on then I can fix the issue.

What used to happen in this scenario was that updates to
xorg-x11-server-Xorg reset the "Files" section of xorg.conf (see below)
where the path to /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so is
defined:

Section "Files"
         ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
         ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

This can be reset by running 'nvidia-config-display enable' as root.

But I can't imagine why xorg-x11-server-Xorg would want to touch
anything under /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia/

Further, on el6 the scripts that used to cause the above behaviour are
long gone.