[CentOS] evaluating backup systems: rsync

Mon Mar 18 17:26:24 UTC 2013
Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com>

On 01/13/2013 12:30 AM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> If you want to make a backup that's consistent across a filesystem, you
> need to make a snapshot, mount it, and back up the snapshot content.  If
> there are files open for writing, you need to make them consistent while
> the snapshot is made.  While I rarely say nice things about Windows,
> this is an area where Linux falls far short.  There is no common
> mechanism for making files and databases consistent and making a
> snapshot for backups.  Admins must do this on their own.  If you aren't
> actively taking steps to make your backups consistent, they aren't.

After publicly bitching about Linux's poor backup infrastructure for the
hundredth time, I decided to write a system largely similar to VSS.
I've written the first iteration in bash.  It took one day to do most of
the work, and then a few hours of testing and fixing to get things
working reasonably well.

https://bitbucket.org/gordonmessmer/dragonsdawn-snapshot

At this point, there's enough working for other people to start looking
at.  Systems with ext3/4 filesystems on LVM are supported.  btrfs will
follow.  PostgreSQL has a script to make its data consistent, but other
common systems like MySQL, OpenLDAP, and 389 DS need similar support.
Documentation needs to be written.  A few architectural issues need to
be ironed out.

If you're interested in improving the state of backups on GNU/Linux,
please have a look and contact me if you want to help with code,
testing, documentation, packaging, or maintaining packages in
distributions so that this becomes a standard feature.