[CentOS] kickstart bonding

Tue Mar 19 14:51:16 UTC 2013
Artifex Maximus <artifexor at gmail.com>

Hello!

I would like to use the new bonding feature of kickstart in release 6.4.

My setup is one bonding interface (bond0) with two (eth0, eth1)
ethernet cards. I am using two VLANs on bonding interface so I have no
IP for bond0 but have IPs for bond0.1 and bond0.2. If I create config
by hand it works.

Now I would like to convert my kickstart file using the new bonding
feature. The kickstart file has:

network --onboot=yes --noipv6 --device=eth0  --bootproto=static
network --onboot=yes --noipv6 --device=eth1  --bootproto=static
network --onboot=yes --noipv6 --device=bond0 --bootproto=static
--bondslaves=eth0,eth1 --bondopts=...

Kickstart gives an error to the bond0 line saying "The provided
network interface bond0 does not exist". Why? Then I put a 'modprobe
bonding' line to my %pre section. Now same error in the following
line:

network --onboot=yes --noipv6 --device=bond0 --vlanid=1
--bootproto=static --ip=192.168.1.1 --netmask=255.255.255.0

It is clear as I do not have bond0.1 but why should I have at setup
time. I do not want to use at setup time only in my final
installation.

I am lost that point so I turned to the list. I do not really
understand why kickstart use interface bond0 and others at the setup
time. Is it just parameters for making config file to my installation.

Any idea what is the problem or a good tutorial on this new feature?

Thanks,