[CentOS] Help with thread Centos 6.4 won't reboot on install

Tue Mar 26 18:13:30 UTC 2013

Robert Benjamin wrote:

> On 3/26/2013 1:23 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Robert Benjamin wrote:
>>>       Newbie here. Need help with a thread that has about 25 posts. No
>>> replies in a few days. The thread is in software support for centos 6
>>> and the subject of the thread is Centos 6.4 won't reboot on install.
>>> Have had limited success in getting a login screen but once I logout, I
>>> can't get back in again. It was mentioned in the thread that the
>>> problem is likely in Network Configuration. I have no GUI (gnome) no
mouse, no
>>> terminal, and keyboard use only with Ctl+Alt+F2. Can login as root but
>>> have no luck getting the GUI to appear or to get a user login screen.
>>> Thanks in advance for your help.
>>>
>> I think you need to take another entry-level course in English, in
>> writing....
>>
>> Sounds like several problems, from what I can tell from the contorted
>> para, above. First, you appear to have a problem with X. Does the
>> correct driver *work*?
>           Questions for this: what video card? Video card is what came
> with Dell Inspiron PC. do you have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (not

> subdirectory)  How would I find a file from that black F2 screen?

Am I wrong, or do you not understand that the "black F@ screen" is a
normal, standard shell window?

                         if so, what driver is it showing?

>>    Driver? Where can I find the driver you refer to?

In the file that I mentioned, above.

> Next: you can't log back in (as you?), but can as root. Questions for
> this: what's in /var/log/secure after you've tried?
>      Ctl_Alt+F2 from gnome screen (screenshot posted in thread) gives me
> a login prompt on a text screen I assume. Can login as root there. Once
> I rebooted from there with Clt+Alt+ Del and got a GUI and logged in.
> When I closed it I was unable to log back in except with the Ctl+Alt+F2
> keys and this gets me back to a black screen with a login prompt and
> just the keyboard works.

That's a console window. And if you can log in as root, you can look at
anything, including the files I've mentioned.

> Or /var/log/messages? what's in your username entry in /etc/password for
> shell?
>
> Have no way to find out what's in /var/log/messages or in username entry
> in /etc/password for shell.

What do you mean, you have no way to find out? Can't you log in as root?

> The only things I can enter are on the black screen where I log in as
> root. Then have to write down the output, go to win7 and use email to
> reply to you and then back to Centos if needed.
>
> I can't even get a terminal screen to use for anything.

I think you need to stop, and go read an introduction to Linux, since you
seem to be telling me you have no idea what I'm talking about when I tell
you what files to look at, nor how to look at them, nor how to save
output. In fact, *if* I understand correctly, you seem to be telling me
that you don't have any idea how to use a command line.

As a friend said once, "yo mama dresses you funny, and you need a mouse to
delete files"

         mark