[CentOS] Help with thread Centos 6.4 won't reboot on install

Thu Mar 28 19:31:57 UTC 2013

Robert Benjamin wrote:

> On 3/28/2013 10:13 AM, Robert Benjamin wrote:
<snip>
> [...]
<snip>
>> What's your goal here - is it to have a working desktop environment? If
>> so, and you have not done so yet, there's an option for desktop; I'd
>> install that, though you can always choose that, then check "customize
>> now", and add or subtract things.
>>
>> Goal is to use Centos 6.4 with gnome as my OS and not win 7. Yes, I'd
>> like a working desktop environment with FF and TB and other programs,
<snip>
>         Just a thought. Would it help if I did yum install KDE, and then
> yum remove gnome? Reason is that I see on the different fora some
> pro/cons with Gnome and KDE. Since Gnome won't let me back in is it
> worth a try?            Bob

I'd leave gnome - there's a few programs it provides I like, like
gwenview, which I think is gnome, and we won't mention freecell or
mines...

However... thinking about this, now that I've got a chance to catch my
breath here at work... a couple of years ago, I think it was, I updated a
fedora box here at work to 13? 14? and gnome was hosed, as in the gui
would come up, but instead of a window with a login, all I had was about a
pencil point width by about six inch high - the hight of the login box,
and I never was able to get it to actually give me the login.  I wound up
having to pull out gnome, because I couldn't find a way to force a KDE
login.

Anyone know what the current replacement is for switchdesk?

In the meantime, here's another thought: you could try to yum groupremove
and groupinstall Desktop, which I think is gnome, to see if there's some
configuration files that are mangled.

The one time you did log in - did you change any settings?

       mark
        mark