[CentOS] preventing apache from being a mail relay

Mon Mar 4 15:01:37 UTC 2013
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

On Sun, March 3, 2013 18:57, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:

> If / when I get the guts to build my own Apache web server...I would
> think that the ONLY way to do it would be to document
> EVERYTHING....sort
> of as a "Just-In-Case" policy?....or is it only after you've built
> it?...and when you make CHANGES to your server....THAT'S when you
> document everything?....

The workflow I have adopted with respect to system administration is
to use a project management application, such as Trac (originally) or
Redmine/ChileProject (currently), and to open an issue for each
activity that I perform on any of my servers.  Therein I record the
motivation for the activity, the desired and intended result, and log
my time.

I also record each problem that is encountered, solutions as they are
found, and insights as they are revealed. I attach configuration
files, copies of related email messages, and make any notes right on
the issue.  As Redmine allows full-text case-insensitive searches I
can usually find in fairly short order the details about anything I
have done that I can at least dimly recall doing.

I add subsequent maintenance events either directly to the original
issue or create a new issue and link that to the original.

While hardly perfect this practice has saved my behind on several
occasions. In fact I would recommend that one document each package
install from the initial selection of the software and go on from
there.  I have had occasion where the question asked of me was "why
was this package selected instead of that package?" Having the answer
to hand along with the evidence has short-circuited the blame-game on
at least one occasion.

Canada  L8E 3C3