[CentOS] Software RAID complete drives or individual partitions

Wed Mar 6 23:38:13 UTC 2013
SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com> wrote:

> On 03/05/2013 05:58 AM, SilverTip257 wrote:
> >
> > Veering slightly from your original question...
> > I recently set up softraid arrays by hand before invoking the Anaconda
> > installer (on a 6.3 install).  Recent mdadm packages that ship with
> CentOS
> > support metadata 1.1 and 1.2 (... actually defaulting to 1.2 I believe),
> > but GRUB 0.97 only supports metadata 1.0 and not the metadata version
> that
> > mdadm defaulted to.  On my CentOS 5 installs in the past I've
> specifically
> > set --metadata=0.90 to avert any catastrophes like this.
>
> As far as I know, GRUB 0.97 only supports metadata 0.90, as does LILO.
> Anaconda will create arrays with 0.90 metadata for this reason.

I can tell you from my recent experience that whatever concoction of GRUB
0.97 (shipped with CentOS 6.3) supports booting off of metadata 1.0

I often encounter metadata 0.90 ... on many [all?] of the aging CentOS 5
installs I see.

> The kernel wiki disagrees with me:
> https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID_superblock_formats
>
> Debian's documentation indicates that only grub 1.98+20100720-1 or later
> will boot from a RAID volume with a newer metadata format:

Grub 1.99 or thereabouts is pretty awesome.
Grub2 (as Debian packages it) supports booting off LVM which is slick.  Not
overly useful, but convenient if you would rather /boot be part of the
rootfs ... especially with kernels getting larger.

A /boot partition that could be 100MB with CentOS 5 now needs to be around
512MB with CentOS 6 (found this out the hard way with a development system).
Disk space is cheap ... but I still don't want to waste space!
:)