[CentOS] [OT/HW] hardware raid -- comment/experience with 3Ware

Thu Mar 7 05:22:44 UTC 2013
Keith Keller <kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us>

On 2013-03-06, Keith Keller <kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:

> This is surprising to me.  I've had one 3ware controller fail in 10 years.

I realized that this is untrue.  I have had three 3ware controllers fail
on me in 10 years, out of about 25.  That's actually a pretty poor
failure rate.  Two of those failures were not fatal--they would crash
the disk subsystem (and for the one which hosted the / filesystem, cause
a kernel panic), but not destroy the filesystems.  One of those two, and
the other which did trash the filesystems, were out of warranty at the
time of failure.  (But I have even older 3ware controllers which are
still perfectly fine.)

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us