[CentOS] Lockups with kernel-2.6.32-358.0.1.el6.i686

Fri Mar 8 19:12:42 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Kwan Lowe <kwan.lowe at gmail.com> wrote:

>> If it's not memory related (test this memory in another system) then it is
>> probably a motherboard failure.  I've seen weird symptoms where the system
>> will boot fine, but once the Linux kernel begins to build its cache it
>> triggers a lock up/throws an exception.
>
> :)  I've also swapped the motherboard. *Every* component except for
> the case and the SSD boot drive has been swapped. This is going on now
> for almost two weeks.
>
> I will try your suggestion of trying a separate set of banks in the
> off chance that those slots are faulty.

I had one a few years ago where it took about 3 days for memtest to
catch the bad RAM but even after fixing that there were random
crashes.  Turned out that the bad RAM had caused some disk corruption
which was partly hidden by raid1 mirroring.  Once in a while a program
block read would hit the bad copy, but when you look for it everything
looks OK...

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com