[CentOS] Apache setup problems

Sat Mar 9 20:39:59 UTC 2013
Bruce Whealton <bruce at futurewaveonline.com>

Hello,
           Yes, I  have installed php with yum.  I used php* and just
recently was told that there is nothing to install, it is all up to date.  I
did a
yum search php first, and tried to install a bunch of php modules, all of
which are already installed.  I had done that a while back.  I think I might
have done that from the Centos desktop and now I'm working mainly from ssh.

By not working, I mean that the index.php file does not get processed as php
- yes, I checked that the file was renamed .php and that there is no .html
file that could be run instead of the php file.  So, I added to a test file
named index.php, and in the body I have a simple <?php phpinfo(); ?>
In the tutorials I found online, there is mention of the php configuration
can be in the httpd.conf file or it can be called from that file.
I have this line in the httpd.conf
Include conf.d/*.conf
Will that work?  I am calling that from the file /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
so it seems like a relative path would be ../conf.d/*.conf, unless this is
relative to this:
ServerRoot "/etc/httpd"

So, inside /etc/httpd/conf.d/php.conf I have

#
# PHP is an HTML-embedded scripting language which attempts to make it
# easy for developers to write dynamically generated webpages.
#
<IfModule prefork.c>
  LoadModule php5_module modules/libphp5.so
</IfModule>
<IfModule worker.c>
  LoadModule php5_module modules/libphp5-zts.so
</IfModule>

#
# Cause the PHP interpreter to handle files with a .php extension.
#
AddHandler php5-script .php
AddType text/html .php

#
# Add index.php to the list of files that will be served as directory
#
DirectoryIndex index.php

#
# Uncomment the following line to allow PHP to pretty-print .phps
# files as PHP source code:
#

That should be enough at least get the phpinfo(); command to run.  At some
point, I got a message about there not being a php.ini file anywhere.  Also,
none of the other various php modules are being called anywhere.  Still, I'm
perplexed that I cannot get anything to run in terms of php.    I could try
a simple echo command to test something even simpler.
Thanks,
It's great that there is such active response on this list...  fast response
times when seeking help.  :-)
Bruce
Bruce Whealton - Web Design/Development/Programming
Future Wave Web Development:
http://futurewaveonline.com
Developing for the Desktop as well as for
Mobile Devices - Smartphones/Tablets
Call 919-636-5809