[CentOS] [OT/HW] hardware raid -- comment/experience with 3Ware

Tue Mar 12 18:31:12 UTC 2013
Keith Keller <kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us>

On 2013-03-12, Arun Khan <knura9 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Software RAID is an option but I don't think hot swap is possible
> without some tinkering with the mdadm tool a priori.

Hot-swapping a failed drive is basically the same process AFAICT with a
3ware array or an md array.  The primary issue would be to make sure the
controller supports hot swap, and how you tell it to release a drive
from the kernel (a la tw_cli /cx/px remove).  And if you have one or two
spares on a modest array then you can schedule site visits around your
own schedule if a drive fails--either a hardware RAID or linux md will
automatically rebuild with a spare when an active drive is marked as
failed.

Did you have other concerns about hot swapping?  I may be confusing what
you're hoping to do.

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us