[CentOS] raid 1 question

Wed Mar 13 19:27:39 UTC 2013
Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com>

On 03/12/2013 10:28 AM, Dave Johansen wrote:
> 1) Has this issue of handling the renaming been resolved in RHEL 6?
> (my guess is no)
> 2) Would a software RAID be a better choice than using the BIOS RAID?

Almost certainly, yes.

> 3) If a software RAID is the better choice, are there going to be an
> impact on performance/stability/etc?

You'd have to measure it on your own workload, but I wouldn't expect
any.  Hardware RAID frequently offers a significant performance benefit
as a result of having a battery backed write cache.  As long as you
don't fill the cache, writing to the RAID card's RAM is very fast, and
writes will go to disk as idle time is available.  Your BIOS raid
probably doesn't have a write cache, and thus probably is no better than
software RAID for performance.