[CentOS] Postfix (Roundcube client) sends mail, but not able to receive

Wed Mar 13 23:17:01 UTC 2013

On 03/13/2013 07:03 PM, Austin Einter wrote:
> Dear All
> I have some basic doubts.
>
> 1. Do I need to run postfix like  /etc/init.d/postfix restart
> 2. What I found it , it is starting.., but when I check immediately ps -ef
> | grep postfix, I do not see any postfix process running.

In Centos we still have the service command, and it works well with
services like postfix.  So you start, restart, and stop with:

service postfix start/stop/restart/status

Note that at some point, probably Centos 7, 'service' is going away.

Oh, and:

chkconfig --list|grep postfix

It should be on for all run levels if not:

chkconfig postfix on

> 3. Is there any system config file, where I need to mention system need to
> run postfix not sendmail....

Did you install sendmail?

grep sendmail /root/install.log

service sendmail status

chkconfig --list|grep sendmail

> 4. If postfix is not running, how am I able to send mails out....

check to see what is running.

> 5. I read some "make sure port 25 does not relay mails", can somebody
> explain more in this regard and how do I stop port 25 relaying mails...

Read to Postfix docs on this first then ask questions.  Do a google
search.  This is something you need to know about.  the campworld howto
sets you up safe.  If you got all of his stuff done.