[CentOS] [OT/HW] hardware raid -- comment/experience with 3Ware

Wed Mar 13 23:39:48 UTC 2013
SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 4:08 PM, Arun Khan <knura9 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 6:37 PM, SilverTip257  wrote:

> >> been
> >>
> >> I think that this is not a helpful comment for the OP.  He wants to
> >> know, in the event the controller does fail, can he replace it with a
> >> similar-but-possibly-not-identical controller and have it recognize the
> >>

> > I've had no problem with various versions of Dell MegaRAID/PERC5i
> > controllers.
> > You can swap drives from a PERC5i into a PERC6i for example and things
> are
> > peachy.  But it is not possible to swap drives from a PERC6i into a
> PERC5i
> > controller.
> >

> No plans to go with Dell hardware but it is great to note that newer
> models (Dell OEM Megaraid) recognize arrays created with older models.
>  I don't expect an older model to recognize an array created by a
> newer model.

Doubtful.  The 6i are newer than the 5i.
Months ago I tested and can confirm 5i cannot read 6i metadata (Dell and
others are not lying).

I've not tried swapping drives from a 5i into a 6i, then back to 5i to see
if the 6i changed the metadata any.  That's too much swapping for a
hypothetical situation where an admin does not do a one-to-one swap (5i to
5i).

> > Avoid SAS6/iR controllers ... they are low-end controllers that only
> > support hardware RAID0 and RAID1.

And to add more information... the Dell PERC[56]i controllers are supported
by the LSI SNMP daemon which then exports quite a bunch of information to
SNMP.  And that is useful with a Nagios plugin to keep tabs on array health.

The SAS6/iR controllers are not compatible with that LSI SNMP daemon and so
far I've not found a way to monitor their array health efficiently.  The
newest version of that Nagios script claims to support MPTFusion-based
controllers (which the SAS6/iR is), but again I've not found a way to
export the data to SNMP.

[ OT:  I confess...someone on this list pointed me at a Nagios plugin to
check OpenManage that I've yet to test.  :-/  ]