[CentOS] Making a clone of an LVM-based EL5 install

Tue Mar 19 15:37:24 UTC 2013
Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com>

On 03/18/2013 03:36 PM, Lists wrote:
> -) When booting from the newly imaged drive, it starts the boot just
> fine but quits at:
> ----------------------------
> Activating logical volumes
>     Volume group "VolGroup00" not found

The only reason that I can think of that would cause this is an initrd
that doesn't contain the driver for the whatever adapter the disk is
attached to.

Boot the rescue image and identify the adapter module.  When you've
identified it, go back to the live system and make a new initrd using
"--with <adapter_module>".  Don't replace the existing initrd, just
create a new one in /boot.  If you then clone the disk, you should be
able to boot the cloned disk to grub.  Edit the kernel definition and
change the path to the initrd, selecting the one you've created for the
new system.  It should boot properly, at which point you can replace the
standard initrd path or fix grub's configuration file.

...and if you don't want to clone the system again, you can just boot
the rescue environment, chroot to the sysimage, and make the initrd there.