[CentOS] 2 questions re UPS management

Tue Mar 19 22:24:30 UTC 2013
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 05:25:11PM -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Fred Smith wrote:
> <snip>
>   #!/bin/sh
>         #
>         # invoked by the poweroff clause in /etc/inittab instead of the
> command
>         # originally in that place. This one also shuts down the Windoze box.
>

>         net rpc SHUTDOWN -C "System shutting down NOW due to power
> failure" -f -I
> 172.19.23.120 -U <myusername>%<mypassword>
>         /sbin/shutdown -f -h +5 "Power Failure; System Shutting Down"
> <snip>
> Hoold on thar: I just had some thoughts, and went back to look at your
> script... then the man page, then shutdown --help.
>
> What's that undocumented -f do?

This is a Centos-5 system. here's an excerpt from its man page:

SYNOPSIS
       /sbin/shutdown [-t sec] [-arkhncfFHP] time [warning-message]

DESCRIPTION
<snip>

OPTIONS
<snip>
       -f     Skip fsck on reboot.
<snip>
       The -f flag means \u2018reboot fast\u2019.  This only creates an advisory file /fastboot which can be tested
       by  the  system  when  it  comes up again.  The boot rc file can test if this file is present, and
       decide not to run fsck(1) since the system has been shut down in the proper way.  After that,  the
       boot process should remove /fastboot.

 .----    Fred Smith   /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us