[CentOS] change /etc/security/limits.conf need reboot or not?

Thu Mar 21 08:51:56 UTC 2013
Woehrle Hartmut SBB CFF FFS (Extern) <hartmut.woehrle at sbb.ch>

> I rmeember you can just exist the shell and log on again to apply the changes. Not really a reboot.
>
> You can check it with ulimit -a for the list items of the changes.
Yes logout and login again helps - but only your shell environment.
Every process/daemon/database has its own (unchanged) environment. So you have to restart also the database processes, to force a new setup for the environment variables.
If you want to be really save, a reboot will be the best.