[CentOS] CentOS 6.4 on Dell R320 64 Bit.

Fri Mar 22 16:23:11 UTC 2013
Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com>

On 03/21/2013 06:27 PM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>> I have installed CentOS 6.4 on Dell Server R320 64bit with UEFI BIOS. Do i
>> need both /boot and /boot/efi partitions. Please help me understand the
>> difference between these.

The filesystem mounted on /boot/efi is a FAT formatted filesystem that
contains only the EFI bits, which is basically the boot loader that used
to be on the MBR.  The boot loader is much larger under EFI.

/boot contains the kernels and initrd files.  It's larger, and it's not
FAT formatted.

You probably could put /boot on / for simple systems with a single disk,
but no such exception has been put into Anaconda's defaults.  It's just
as well that it's left as is.