[CentOS] CentOS 6.4 x86_64 VM Install freezes

Fri Mar 22 20:25:07 UTC 2013
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

At Thu, 21 Mar 2013 20:54:04 -0400 Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

> > On 3/21/2013 3:42 PM, Robert Heller wrote:
> > > Is it because some package from the second disk is needed?  Do I have to
> > > create a merged version of the DVDs?  Or is something else wrong?
> >

> > I put a mirror of this, http://mirror.centos.org/centos-6/6/os/x86_64/
> > on a local http server
> >
> > then I use the netinstall iso to boot the system or VM and have the
> > kickstart file point to the http url to run the install.   if you do a
> > pxe boot of the netinstall image, even better.
>
> I created a local O/S repo by 'merging' the two DVD isos (copied DVD 1
> to directory mounted under /var/www and then copied the contents of the
> Packages directory of the second DVD into the copy of the Packages
> directory) and then used this local repo as the install source.  Same
> thing -- it hangs at selinux-policy-targeted-3.7.19-195.el6.noarch.  CPU
> busy for awhile, then virtually zero CPU usage.  Is it a memory problem?
> I've only allocated 1gig of RAM to this VM -- is that too little?  Is
> there something 'special' about
> selinux-policy-targeted-3.7.19-195.el6.noarch?

OK, I managed to install the VM.  I did a 'Minumal-Desktop' install and
then installed the 300+ additional packages after the 'Minumal-Desktop'
completed and the VM rebooted (I used the package list from the 32-bit
'Development-Workstation' install I did earlier).  I still don't know
why selinux-policy-targeted-3.7.19-195.el6.noarch caused the install to
go off into never-never land...  There was no problem doing a
'Development-Workstation' install of the 32-bit version.  My *only*
guess was the 1gig was not enough RAM for selinux-policy-targeted
post-install script with large number of installed packages, but there
were no error messages, so I really don't know what was going on.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com