[CentOS] Help with thread Centos 6.4 won't reboot on install

Tue Mar 26 18:08:10 UTC 2013
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 03/26/2013 01:03 PM, Robert Benjamin wrote:
> On 3/26/2013 1:23 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Robert Benjamin wrote:
>>>       Newbie here. Need help with a thread that has about 25 posts. No
>>> replies in a few days. The thread is in software support for centos 6
>>> and the subject of the thread is Centos 6.4 won't reboot on install.
>>> Have had limited success in getting a login screen but once I logout, I
>>> can't get back in again. It was mentioned in the thread that the problem
>>> is likely in Network Configuration. I have no GUI (gnome) no mouse, no
>>> terminal, and keyboard use only with Ctl+Alt+F2. Can login as root but
>>> have no luck getting the GUI to appear or to get a user login screen.
>>> Thanks in advance for your help.
>>>
>> I think you need to take another entry-level course in English, in
>> writing....
>>
>> Sounds like several problems, from what I can tell from the contorted
>> para, above. First, you appear to have a problem with X. Does the correct
>> driver *work*?
>           Questions for this: what video card? Video card is what came
> with Dell Inspiron PC. do you have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (not
> subdirectory)  How would I find a file from that black F2 screen?
>>                            if so, what driver is it showing?
>>    Driver? Where can I find the driver you refer to?
> Next: you can't log back in (as you?), but can as root. Questions for
> this: what's in /var/log/secure after you've tried?
>      Ctl_Alt+F2 from gnome screen (screenshot posted in thread) gives me
> a login prompt on a text screen I assume. Can login as root there. Once
> I rebooted from there with Clt+Alt+ Del and got a GUI and logged in.
> When I closed it I was unable to log back in except with the Ctl+Alt+F2
> keys and this gets me back to a black screen with a login prompt and
> just the keyboard works.
>

> Or /var/log/messages? what's in your username entry in /etc/password for
> shell?
>
> Have no way to find out what's in /var/log/messages or in username entry
> in /etc/password for shell.
>
> The only things I can enter are on the black screen where I log in as
> root. Then have to write down the output, go to win7 and use email to
> reply to you and then back to Centos if needed.
>
> I can't even get a terminal screen to use for anything.
>
> Appreciate the satire, I can do that but it is a waste of time.
>
> <satire> Send me your physical address, and I'll see if I can scrape up
> a blue book and pencil.... </satire> mark

I answered you on the forums ... It seems that you just do not have a
network connection (or DNS) working.  With no network, GNOME is not
happy (it can not properly resolve it's name).

So:

1.  You need to learn to use VIM to edit files and do so via ctrl-alt-f2.

2.  You need to edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and turn
it on while booting

3.  If you do not have DHCP setup on your network for clients, then you
need to setup the IP address manually and setup DNS manually in

once that is working, we can troubleshoot other things.