[CentOS] Help with thread Centos 6.4 won't reboot on install

Thu Mar 28 15:25:48 UTC 2013
Robert Benjamin <benjie1 at cox.net>

On 3/28/2013 10:13 AM, Robert Benjamin wrote:
> On 3/28/2013 9:38 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Robert Benjamin wrote:
>> which I
>> packets

>>>            tcpdump with port 53 was no different than with port 50.
>>>            Waited an hour after startup and still had that same blue
>>> screen. Is that the gnome desktop screen? So no it doesn't eventually
>>> work. An hour is eventually right?  :-)
>>>           yum update installed 23 packages successfully.
>>>            Should I re-instal again? It will be the 3rd time.
>> Mmmm, another nasty thought.... I just went, and found your original post,
>> where you said you'd done an install using minimal. I'm, well, let us say
>> underwhelmed by "minimal" - I have to add stuff on a headless server to
>> get online.
>      I corrected that minimal install by starting over from a DVD with a
> full install and ticking the Gnome GUI. It did once after the long wait
> let me log in to Centos 6.4 with gnome and I could use it, instead of
> win 7 for browsing, email etc.
>
> What's your goal here - is it to have a working desktop environment? If
> so, and you have not done so yet, there's an option for desktop; I'd
> install that, though you can always choose that, then check "customize
> now", and add or subtract things.
>
> Goal is to use Centos 6.4 with gnome as my OS and not win 7. Yes, I'd
> like a working desktop environment with FF and TB and other programs,
> Libre Office,  Gimp etc Did the customize now on last time I
> re-installed. Now I'm still trying to get online. I had things set up on
> the desktop the last time it let me log in and I want to get back there
> in a reasonable time frame.  Just like to use Centos as I can win 7 or
> Ubuntu or mint 14. It just doesn't want me to log back it anymore.  :-(
>> With minimal... I'd have to sit at your keyboard and figure out what's
>> missing.
>>
>>         mark
        Just a thought. Would it help if I did yum install KDE, and then
yum remove gnome? Reason is that I see on the different fora some
pro/cons with Gnome and KDE. Since Gnome won't let me back in is it
worth a try?            Bob