[CentOS] "Can't find root device" with lvm root after moving drive on CentOS 6.3

Fri Mar 29 08:23:12 UTC 2013
Joakim Ziegler <joakim at terminalmx.com>

Recreating initrd made no difference.

Immediately after getting dropped to rdshell, I looked around in /dev,
which brought me a few surprises...

/dev/mapper contains only "control", that is, "vg_resolve02-lv_root" is
missing.

/dev/root is a symlink to /dev/dm-0

Which is a bit surprising, since, when I do lvm vgscan and lvm vgchange
-ya, /dev/mapper/vg_resolve02-lv_root appears, but I just now noticed
that it's a symlink to /dev/dm-0, so, in effect, when I symlink
/dev/root to /dev/vg_resolve02-lv_root, I'm just creating the same
symlink that was already there, with one more level of redirection.

That means /dev/root already is correct, so the only thing I'm actually
changing to make the system boot is to scan for volume groups and
activate them.

The big question then becomes: Why do I have to do this manually? How do
I make Dracut (I assume this is Dracut's job) make this automatically?

--
Joakim Ziegler  -  Supervisor de postproducción  -  Terminal
joakim at terminalmx.com   -   044 55 2971 8514   -   5264 0864