[CentOS] cronie: /usr/bin/run-parts

Fri Mar 29 19:26:45 UTC 2013
Max Pyziur <pyz at brama.com>

On Fri, 29 Mar 2013, John Doe wrote:

> From: Max Pyziur <pyz at brama.com>
>
>> Per the subject line, what controls the time of the running of scripts
>> located in the /etc/cron.[daily|weekly|hourly] directories?
>>
>> Specifically with CentOS 6.* I've noticed that scripts in /etc/cron.daily
>> and /etc/cron.weekly run at different times of the day, or on different
>> days. In my experience on other rpm-based distributions, cron daily and
>> weekly scripts run at 4am; those that are run weekly run at 4am on Sunday
>> morning.
>
> Seems like there is some info in:
>  man anacrontab

Greetings,

Much thanks to all for the replies. I now understand the logic of what is
happening (I'm a two CentOS server, three Fedora desk/laptop person,
myself; I do SQL and other things for food, not sysadmin). Having
acclimated to precise delivery of sysadmin-related reports
(logwatch, rkhunter, etc) showing timestamps of 4am (or thereabouts), I
was caught by surprise after making a necessary move from CentOS 5 to
CentOS 6, with what appeared to be erratic delivery of
cron.daily-/cron.weekly-driven sysadmin reporting.

Thanks again, more questions soon.

> JD

MP
pyz at brama.com