[CentOS] Help with thread Centos 6.4 won't reboot on install

Fri Mar 29 21:39:26 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Robert Benjamin <benjie1 at cox.net> wrote:

>> Your are looking for /tmp/.X0-lock.   Another convention is that files
>> starting with a . are 'hidden' in the sense that ls will omit them
>> unless you use the -a option.
>        so just what should appear after I type rm /tmp/.X0-lock   Any
> output expected?

That's an oddly complicated question.  Normally rm does what you tell
it quietly.   If it failed you'd see an error message but nothing on
success.  However, when you log in as root you get a shell alias that
runs 'rm -i' when you type rm.   That is the 'interactive' option that
makes it prompt before actually removing.  But depending on whether
you were root, or how you got there, the alias may or may not be
active.

Anyway, the short story is that if you didn't get an error message,
the file should be gone.  And now you can try 'startx' again.   What
you accidentally removed may not affect the desktop.

>      I never got a nice neat list lie what you have above .Maybe I had
> another error when I tried to look in /var/log/yum.log  What is the best
> command to use to look in here?   Thanks . Have a great Easter

I usually use 'less' to view files, because the controls are the same
as vi.  So capital-G to go to the end, b (or up-arrrow) to go
backwards, ctl-b by pages, q to quit.

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com