[CentOS] flashing a BIOS on an HP server

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Wed May 1 12:00:07 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 2:17 AM, Mogens Kjaer <mk at lemo.dk> wrote:

> On 04/30/2013 09:34 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> > Yeah, assuming you're running Windows....
>
> Do you have access to any Windows machine?

Only for making the floppy or other image.

> Then you can run the SP53272.exe file on that, it will give you the
> possibility to burn a bootable CD with the firmware code.

For kicks, I downloaded a BIOS update for an old(er) HP system I own...
While you run the software on Windows, it is a FreeDOS bootable floppy
image.
Now that I've got a bootable floppy, I clone it with dd to an image file
and I could PXE boot it.

I'm not quite sure why HP didn't just make a floppy image and distribute
that back then.
I keep a USB floppy drive and one Windows system (dual boot laptop) around
just in case for situations like this.

> If you don't have a CD burner on the Windows machine you can
> transfer the .iso file from the directory that was created
> when the SP53272.exe is unpacked, it will be in
> "ROMPaq CD/ROMPAQ.iso".
>
> You don't need Windows on the dl580.
>
> Mogens
>

> --