[CentOS] trying to recover an audio CD...

Ted Miller tedlists at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 2 04:25:40 UTC 2013

On 05/01/2013 11:33 PM, fredex wrote:
>> Fred Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
> Jörg:

[snip]
>> - Is it possible to use the original drive that was used for writing?
>
> the original isn't a drive per se, it's a professional audio recorder,
> rack-mounted, that contains a CD drive of some sort.
>
> I THINK what happened was the recorder was powered off while writing.
> Probably made a huge mess of the data, or at least  left it in some bad
> unfinished state.

I have used such a recorder, and the one I used WAS capable of recovering a
disk from a mess like what you describe.  But...it takes a while.  It has
to read the entire disk (and it is designed to read at 1X), figure out what
is on it, and then finalize it.

If you can get access to the original recorder, I would suggest you let it
try to clean up its own mess.  Even better would be to get hold of the
manual (paper or online) and see what it suggests for finalizing a disk
that has been removed from the recorder.

Ted Miller
Elkhart, IN