[CentOS] Kickstart and volume group with a dash in the name

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Thu May 2 16:36:10 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 12:13 PM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <
dennisml at conversis.de> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to setup the provisioning of new OpenStack hypervisors with
> cinder volumes on them. The problem is that kickstart doesn't allow
> dashed in volume group names?

Since LVs can be referenced in a way that contains dashes, I expect dashes
may not be allowed.

See these examples:
/dev/vgname/logvolname
/dev/mapper/vgname-logvolname

But the following excerpt from "man lvm" doesn't support my thought.

VALID NAMES
       The following characters are valid for VG and LV names: a-z A-Z 0-9
+ _ . -

       VG  and LV names cannot begin with a hyphen.  There are also various
reserved names that are used internally by lvm that can not be used as
       LV or VG names.  A VG cannot be called anything that exists in /dev/
at the time of creation, nor can it be called '.' or '..'.  A LV  can‐
       not  be  called  '.'  '..'  'snapshot'  or  'pvmove'. The LV name
may also not contain the strings '_mlog', '_mimage', '_rimage', '_tdata',
       '_tmeta'.

> I tried this:
>
> volgroup cinder-volumes --pesize=4096 pv.02
>
> and this:
>
> volgroup cinder--volumes --pesize=4096 pv.02
>
> but in both cases I end up with a volume group named "cindervolumes" on
> the system. Any idea what I have to do to accomplish this?

Underscores work just fine.
You might consider using underscores instead of dashes.

> Defining VGs with dashes works perfectly fine on the command line.

As maxxik suggests, you may consider escaping the hypen/dash.

> Regards,
>    Denis

Mike
//  SilverTip257  //