[CentOS] Is there a good nntp client for Centos 6 that handles SSL native?

Rock Rocksockdoc at gmail.com
Sun May 5 06:37:45 UTC 2013

On Fri, 03 May 2013 12:32:28 +0200, Markus Falb wrote:

> What exactly do you mean with that?

When setting up Thunderbird for NNTP, TB asked questions like
"incoming and outgoing user name", which are meaningless for NNTP
(AFAIK); and TB didn't give any place to add any other server than
an SMTP server; and even then, it didn't allow for a port change
to 563.

I'm sure if I dug further into the TB setup I could set it up for
NNTP, but it was extremely clear (like bright blinding sunlight),
that either I was in the wrong setup or that TB wasn't meant for
USENET news ease of use.

So, I gave up on TB - having the experience to know not to try to
make something do what it wasn't meant to do combined with my
total ignorance of how to make it do what I would want it to do.

NNTP setup should be as simple as three questions:
Q1: What is your news server address & port? (e.g., news.gmane.org:119)
Q2: What is your username & password? (both allowed to be blank)
Q3: What is your posting user & email (both allowed to be invalid)

If the setup is more complex than that, then I wouldn't expect
the program to handle news any better.