[CentOS] unprivileged users rebooting at console

Joseph Spenner

joseph85750 at yahoo.com
Sun May 5 10:38:41 UTC 2013

I'm curious why any user logged in at the console can issue the 'reboot' command and reboot the system.  I've tested/verified this to work, and read some older posts about this.  If it were a bug, I suspect it would be fixed by now.
Also, if a user is logged into the console, and then logs in via ssh from another system, that user can also reboot the system from that ssh connection.  It would seem that once a user authenticates on the console, and remains on the console, they can reboot from any other/new tty.  Once they drop off the console, the ssh connections can no longer reboot.

If this is by design, why?

Thanks!

Regards,
Joseph Spenner

---

If life gives you lemons, keep them-- because hey.. free lemons.
"~heart~ Sticker"  fixer:  http://microflush.org/stuff/stickers/heartFix.html